Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Whenever I make cookies they are always the classic chocolate chip cookies and never made from scratch. Ive never really challenged myself enough to make something other than that. But, this time I thought I would try something different. As I searched through my cook book, Nestle Toll House Three Books In One, ignoring the chocolate chip cookie recipes, I stumbled across an Oatmeal Sotchies recipe. They have a fairly large amount of ingredients compared to the chocolate chip cookies, such as 1 teaspoon grated peel of 1 orange, 3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats, 1 2/3 cups TOLL HOUSE butterscotch flavored morsels (109).

Another difference I saw with making cookies that were not just chocolate chip and werent from a box is that they also called for mixing things a certain way. For example, you have to "beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract in large mixing bowl. Gradually beat in flour mixture" (109). As you can tell, unlike box cookies, you have to separately mix everything.

One last thing I noticed that was different from box cookies is that the directions for the Oatmeal Scotchies even told you how big to make each cookie "drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets" (109). With this, I was able to successfully make a cookie that isnt too small, which I had normally ended up doing before this.



What I learned with making cookies that were home-made and not just traditional chocolate chip, is patience. While making the cookies, it took a surprising amount of time. I had to separately mix and beat everything separate than at the very end mix it altogether. But after words it was worth it because I noticed the cookies tasted better putting in that extra effort.

Question: Do you normally home-make your cookies or just use box mix?

Citation: Nestle. Toll House 3 Books In 1. N.p.: Nestle USA, inc, 2010. Print
download
alternative link download

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive